On this special edition of the First Friday Webinar Series, held on Friday, January 7, we welcomed special guests Enric Sala, National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence, and Craig Hoover, Executive Vice President of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, for an update and discussion of 30×30.
During the webinar, Enric reflects back on a presentation he made during the 2019 AZA Annual Conference and then speaks about the progress made, as well as the opportunities and challenges ahead. Craig addresses the support of AZA for 30×30, and the important role that zoos and aquariums, as well as science museums, can play within the movement. Their comments sparked an excellent discussion that went well beyond the usual 30 minutes…be sure to watch through the end! A recording of the webinar can be found here.
In keeping with a request made during the webinar, here are the links that were shared in the chat:
- The comprehensive set of tools and resources that is being developed by a working group of zoos, aquariums, a science museum and advisors; and available for all to use
- A link to the 30×30 Community on the AZA network through which AZA members can gather and share information and ideas, noting that organizations that are not members of AZA can write to 30×[email protected] to receive updates via email
- A copy of the recent letter signed and submitted to the administration by more than 180 zoos, aquariums and science museums, alongside AAM, ASTC, and AZA, in support of the goal of 30×30 as envisioned within the America the Beautiful initiative
- The Year One Report on the America the Beautiful initiative
- Information about Enric’s excellent book, The Nature of Nature