Youth leaders and organizations are collaborating in transformative ways to create a more just, equitable, and sustainable society and a healthy blue planet.
Our Mission and Values
The Ocean Project catalyzes collective action for a healthy ocean and a stable climate. We work in close collaboration with youth leaders and a wide range of organizations.
By collaborating with youth leaders, youth organizations, aquariums, zoos, and other community organizations we are developing a global network that effectively engages the public, informs local, national and international policymakers, and growing the movement to protect and restore our blue planet.
Everything The Ocean Project does is based on the values of collaboration and community, inclusion and impact, and respect for all people and life with whom we share our blue planet home. We recognize that a healthy ocean -- covering 71% of our planet -- is essential for life, allowing humans and the rest of nature to survive and thrive.
One Ocean, One Climate, One Future – Together
The Ocean Project team works largely behind the scenes to achieve our collaborative mission to build youth power and transform narratives. Through the power of effective partnerships with youth and an inclusive and diverse network of 2,000+ partner organizations in 150+ countries, we focus on collaborative conservation campaigns and creating collective impact by growing the movement for a healthy ocean and a stable climate.
Youth engagement and leadership is the central focus for all we do.
- We started in 1997 by supporting aquariums, zoos, museums to develop into bolder community and national leaders for conservation and co-developing action campaigns. This was our primary focus through 2022.
- In 2002 we launched global coordination of World Ocean Day as a unique opportunity to spotlight the importance of the ocean for everyone on our blue planet, and unite the world for celebration and collective action around 8 June and throughout the year.
- In 2009, we began to support and co-develop collaborative youth programs and campaigns to advance community, national and international ocean and climate policy action.
Enhance the power of youth and connect them with our growing global network of partners to advocate for conservation impact
- Support youth to be change makers who effectively communicate, educate, and engage with their communities and decision makers
Scale solutions within and beyond our network to grow the movement for a better future
- Develop our network of youth leaders, youth organizations and others, sharing solutions and catalyzing collective action that adds maximum value to national and global conservation campaigns
We've been steadily building a global youth network and collaborating on youth leadership and advocacy since 2009. To help develop a broad, diverse, active, and united youth movement for our blue planet, we conduct collaborative environmental literacy and advocacy training programs on the interconnected issues, connect youth and youth-focused organizations for collaboration in key countries, spotlight diverse youth leaders, and co-develop collaborative national and international ocean and climate policy-focused campaigns. More here.
The Ocean Project launched global coordination of World Ocean Day in 2002. Powered by the World Ocean Day Youth Advisory Council, with 25 members from a similar number of countries, this unique global celebration of our one shared ocean unites the world for collective action, in June and throughout the year. We engage the World Ocean Day network all 365 days for stewardship and collaborative action to improve national and international policy. More here.
We've grown from a handful of co-founding organizations in 1997 into one of the most extensive networks ever created for ocean and climate conservation. Much of our work is done behind-the-scenes, embracing intersectional strategies and supporting youth and other key partners to be bolder leaders and co-developing campaigns for conservation action. We collaborate with national and international policy-focused organizations to scale success, and we share lessons learned with our global partner network so all can benefit. To support our network of diverse partners and the larger conservation community, we openly share our data and insights. Any organization can join our network or sign up as an individual to be kept informed. More here.
The Ocean Project is dedicated to supporting youth and our global partner network. Small by design, we are a data-driven and solutions-focused organization that punches far above its weight. To learn about our team, click here.