First Friday Webinar Series
The First Friday webinar series focuses on how to strategically, safely, and cost-effectively get more involved in conservation engagement, policy, and advocacy. The webinars are recommended for those working at visitor-serving organizations who interact with guests, community partners, public officials, and supporters.
Click here to register for upcoming webinars.
Held on the first Friday of each month during the lunch /brunch hour (1pm east coast/10am west coast), these webinars are a great opportunity to host a professional development session with your team. We keep them informative and brief, approximately 30 minutes.
Let us know if you have suggestions for upcoming webinars!
- Webinar 35/October 1: Focus on youth engagement and leadership. More coming soon!
- Webinar 34/September 3: Previewing Public Engagement & Conservation Sessions at the AZA Annual Conference
- Featuring Cheryl Andrews, Director of Conferences at AZA, with a conference overview, followed by several session organizers for a discussion of some of the most important topics impacting efforts aimed at advancing conservation.
- August - no monthly webinar with "August recess"
- Webinar #33/July 2: Recent Successes and Expanding Opportunities around 30×30
- Featuring Erin Eastwood, Program Director at the National Ocean Protection Coalition; Dani Hogan, Director of Mission Integration at the Philadelphia Zoo, ; Kim McIntyre, Director of the Aquarium Conservation Partnership; and Bill Mott, Director, The Ocean Project | World Ocean Day
- June - no monthly webinar with all hands on deck for World Ocean Day month and the conservation action focus on 30x30
- Webinar #32/ May 7: #Trending: Social Media for Effective Youth Engagement in Conservation
- Featuring Hailey Bortel, Digital Marketing Manager at Seattle Aquarium; Shannon Kemp, Communications Specialist Social Media at NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores; Kate Sutter, the new social media coordinator at The Ocean Project/World Ocean Day; and Baylee Ritter, Strategic Advisor, Youth Initiative at The Ocean Project
- Webinar #31/ April 2: Getting Fishy With It!
- Featuring Jo Knight, Communications Advisor to the Marine Fish Conservation Network, and Melanie Kudra, Education Engagement Specialist at the Texas State Aquarium
- Webinar #30/ March 5: Planning for World Ocean Day and Party for the Planet!
- Featuring Emma Shahabi, World Ocean Day Coordinator at The Ocean Project, Kelly Kryc, Director of Ocean Policy at the New England Aquarium, and Amy Rutherford, Director of Professional Development and Education at AZA
- Webinar #29/ February 5: A Promising Framework and Roadmap for Audience Conservation Engagement
- Featuring Emily Routman, of Emily Routman Associates, who will provide an overview of the framework and roadmap, and Kirstie Ruppert, Social Scientist at San Diego Zoo Global, who will discuss the application of this approach to a recent visitor engagement effort in support of the Endangered Species Act
- Webinar #28/ January 8: The Conservation Calendar in 2021
- Webinar #27/ December 4: A Global Perspective on Effective Ocean Messaging to Advance Ocean Conservation
- Featuring Sophie Hulme, co-founder of Communications Inc, and coordinator of the OneOcean Flotilla, an unbranded effort to help unify ocean messaging to achieve impact
- Webinar #26/November 6: They're Tired of Zoom Too: Making and Sustaining Meaningful (Virtual) Connections for Conservation With Young People During a Global Pandemic!
- Featuring Baylee Ritter, Host of The Ocean Project's youth webinar series; Rise Up!
- Webinar #25/October 2: Advancing Understanding of Effective Conservation Engagement
- Webinar #24/September 4: Emerging Opportunities to Advance 30x30
- Featuring Greg Zimmerman, Senior Fellow and Communications Director with the Wyss Campaign for Nature
- Webinar #23/August 7: Enhancing Effectiveness of Public Engagement
- Featuring Heartwired to Love the Ocean. The latest on their research, including results from their recent round of grants and guidance for aquarium and zoo professionals who want to continue to enhance the effectiveness of their public engagement programs and campaigns.
- Friday June 5 webinar cancelled in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and the fight for social justice nationally and globally.
- Webinar #22/May 22: World Oceans Day 2020: Opportunities to Celebrate our Ocean
- Webinar #21/May 8: How COVID-19 is Impacting Intentions to Attend Zoos and Aquariums – And What Will Make Visitors Feel Comfortable Visiting Again
- Click here for an IMPACTS COVID-19 Webinar Reference Sheet with links to articles on the data discussed in the webinar. IMPACTS is continually collecting data on intentions to visit cultural entities, the types of organizations that may experience greater demand, what people say will make them feel safe visiting again – and many other metrics. During this presentation, IMPACTS shared timely and pressing data to aid in informing strategic direction to maximize engagement upon reopening. IMPACTS is a global leader in predictive market intelligence and related technologies and informed The Ocean Project’s opinion and market research over many years.
- Webinar #20/May 1: Protecting 30% of our blue planet by 2030, Part 2
- Webinar #19/April 3: Protecting 30% of our blue planet by 2030, Part 1
- Featuring Miriam Goldstein, Director, Ocean Policy, Center for American Progress
- Webinar #18/March 6: Ensuring science-based fisheries policies
- Featuring Douglas Meyer, Strategic Advisor to The Ocean Project and Kim McIntyre, Director, Aquarium Conservation Partnership
- Webinar #17/February 7: Hollywood has Awards Season and Zoos and Aquariums have Event Season: Party for the Planet and Make Every Day Earth Day and/or World Oceans Day
- Featuring Rob Vernon, Senior Vice President, Communications & Marketing; Katie Wood, Conservation and Biodiversity Manager, Earth Day Network; Jeff Demain, World Oceans Day Manager
- Webinar #16/January 10, 2020: Engaging & Elevating the Impact of Climate Change by Making 2020 the Super Year of the Ocean
- Featuring Justin Kenney, Senior Advisor to the U.N. Foundation for Climate, Energy and Environment; with Tom Adams, Policy Advisor for The Ocean Project
- Webinar #15/December 6: 2020 Preview: Conservation Engagement and Action Programs, Activities, and Policy Opportunities
- Featuring Jennifer Keaton, Vice President for Legislative Affairs, AZA, Kim McIntyre Director of Aquarium Conservation Partnership, Bill Mott, Executive Director of The Ocean Project
- Webinar #14/November 1: Starting Early — The Importance of Cultivating State and Local Officials Early in Their Careers
- Featuring Maggie Ostdahl, Conservation Policy Manager, National Aquarium
- Webinar #13/October 4: The 116th Congress Approaches its “Half Time”
- Featuring Colin Sheldon Assistant Director of Federal Affairs, WCS and Tom Adams, Strategy Advisor, The Ocean Project
- Webinar #12/August 2: AZA Conference Engagement Workshop & Panels Preview
- Featuring Stephanie Joseph, Curator of Educator, NY Aquarium/WCS and Rob Vernon, Senior VP, Communications & Marketing
- Webinar #11/July 12: Improving Management & Conservation of Forage Fish
- Featuring Charlotte Runzel, Policy Associate, National Audubon Society and Tom Adams, Strategic Advisor to The Ocean Project
- Webinar #10/June 14: Want to bring the visiting public into public policy? Here’s your chance!
- Showcasing the results from a recent survey about zoo and aquarium interest in engaging visitors on public policy issues
- Webinar #9/May 3: AZA Advocacy Day Briefing and Strategic Messaging Tips to Advance Conservation
- Featuring Jennifer Keaton, VP for Congressional Affairs at AZA and Josh Mogerman, National Media Director, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Webinar #8/April 5: Youth Activism for Conservation: Empowering young people to become ocean champions
- Featuring Rachael Coccia, Director of Youth Initiatives, The Ocean Project; Rachael Bell-Irving, Digital Outreach Coordinator, Online Programs at Ocean Wise, and Danni Washington, Co-Founder of Big Blue and You and Co-Founder of Sea Youth Rise Up
- Webinar #7/March 1: World Oceans Day 2019: Engaging your visitors in conservation action
- Featuring Samantha Mackiewicz, World Oceans Day Director, The Ocean Project and Baylee Ritter, Program Associate, The Ocean Project
- Webinar #6/February 1: Beyond Congress: Executive Branch Processes that Can Advance Conservation for the Ocean, Fish and Other Wildlife
- Featuring Kris Sarri, President and CEO, National Marine Sanctuary Foundation and Kerston Swartz, Public Affairs and Advocacy Manager, Woodland Park Zoo
- Webinar #5/January 11: No Time to Engage Like the Present
- Featuring Amy Kenney, Executive Director, National Ocean Protection Coalition and Rich Block, CEO, Santa Barbara Zoo and Chair, AZA Government Affairs Committee
- Webinar #4/December 7: Looking Ahead to the new Congress and Opportunities for Zoos, Aquariums, and Museums
- Featuring Jean Flemma, Ocean Defense Initiative and Colin Sheldon, Assistant Director of Federal Affairs, Wildlife Conservation Society
- Webinar #3/June 15: Fishing for Public Engagement: Results of Three Pilot Projects in Public Engagement
- Featuring Kelly Matis and Katie Cubina, Mystic Aquarium; Melanie Baker, Seattle Aquarium and Melanie Kudra, Texas State Aquarium
- Webinar #2/May 4: Using Your Existing Resources to Have Your Voice Heard
- Featuring Katie Cubina, Senior Vice President, Mystic Aquarium and Mark Antoniewicz, Director of Communications, Hip Hop Caucus
- Webinar #1/April 13: The Policy Arena and Your Untapped Advocacy Potential
- Featuring Andrea Densham, Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy, Shedd Aquarium and Matt Mullin, Marine Fish Conservation Network