You Can Help!
Thank you for your interest and involvement! We offer a variety of ways for you to make a real difference. Please read on for ideas for how you can contribute, and share this page with your network of friends and colleagues. Thank you!
If you're a young person and/or associated with a youth-oriented organization, please visit the youth pages for more information about how we are supporting diverse youth voices, and sign up below for email updates. This super collaborative global youth engagement and leadership initiative is growing fast and your ideas for improvement are always appreciated!
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its renewal is our only hope. - Wendell Berry
Get our Updates
Subscribe to one or all of the following of our email lists:
- World Ocean Day: Meant for event organizers and interested individuals who want to celebrate and unite for the ocean with a special crescendo each June and additional opportunities throughout the year. Approximately monthly emails from January-June and bi-monthly emails from July-December each year.
- Rising Blue Network Newsletter: A monthly update for youth and youth-focused organizations, each issue spotlights different youth organizations and youth leaders from around the world, as well as events and opportunities to get more involved. See previous issues here.
- First Friday webinar series: Geared primarily for people who work at aquariums, zoos, and museums to support them in effective communications for conservation, advocacy, and visitor and policymaker engagement. See previous webinars here.
- General email list for The Ocean Project. Get updates only a few times a year. Anyone signed up for other lists will get these brief updates as well.
Make a Personal Donation or Become a Supporter
Help us collaboratively create a better world! As a non-profit organization, generous contributions make it possible for us to pursue our mission. We are a lean, dedicated, and effective team so every contribution goes far for conservation impact!
Please consider supporting us by making a personal or a business donation today. Your support will help us as we collaboratively create a more sustainable society, a healthy ocean and a stable climate that we all need to survive and thrive, no matter where we live.
Also, if you work at a business or corporation that might be interested in being a Supporter, and collaborating with us to protect our blue planet, please contact Bill Mott. See our Supporters here and here. We always have lots of exciting opportunities for our Supporters!
Current opportunities to volunteer include:
- Help us maximize Google Ads for Nonprofits. If you have experience in how to do this effectively, we can use your help! Click here.
- Translate some of our resources into other languages. The World Ocean Day website and resources, including for social media, are in particular need of continual updates and translations to help connect and unite the world.
- You can volunteer in other ways, too! Feel free to suggest ways you could help out based on your interests, experience, education, or geographic location. We greatly appreciate your commitment to conservation!
Apply for an Internship
We have a large global reach and impact but are a small organization with the equivalent of three full-time people people, so interns are an integral part of our team and get plenty of responsibility, real work experience, and great connections for life. We depend on bright, energetic, creative, and responsible interns to help us achieve our vision of a more sustainable society, a healthier ocean and a stable climate.
We provide opportunities year round for one or two interns. We seek creative individuals with solid communications (electronic, verbal and written) and analytical thinking skills. A marine science background is not required. We are a virtual organization, with main office based in Providence, RI, but interns have been based all over the world.
The Ocean Project provides opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as those who are recently graduated. Based on education, experience, and time commitment, interns may receive a stipend and/or academic credit. Responsibilities are continually changing and also depend on the intern’s interests. Please review our blogs (see above) for an overview of what we are working on and in your application please bring to our attention what you would, ideally, focus on to help us advance our collaborative conservation mission.
If interested, submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (no more than three pages and any type of sample welcome; it's up to you to decide what you would like to convey). Send to the address below (electronic communication preferred). Interns are accepted on a rolling basis.
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spread the Word on Social
We hope you will use all available social networking tools and your own successful communications skills to invite others to help protect our world’s ocean! You can stay connected with the latest! Follow us on our World Ocean Day social media platforms at Twitter , Facebook, and Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Provide Advice and Ideas
We are a lean team (equivalent of about 3 people working on our three initiatives) so we love when people find cool events or an exciting campaign and share the information with us so we can connect and amplify through our networks.
Please also share your ideas with us! Let us know how you think we can improve our websites (The Ocean Project and World Ocean Day). Any feedback about our website/s and social media presence would be greatly appreciated.
Host an Event
You can get more involved in your community by bringing people together to celebrate our ocean and take action. It's easy to host an event or activity for World Ocean Day in June and any of the other 364 days of the year. We all love the ocean every day and it needs our help throughout the year!
Join as a Partner
Have your organization join, or encourage an organization you like to join as a Partner. Do you work with a youth group, aquarium, zoo, museum, nature center, school, or another type of organization that shares The Ocean Project’s commitment to collaboratively creating a better future for society and our blue planet? There is no cost for an organization to join the growing global network and lots of benefits to being part of a collective global effort!