The Ocean Project advances ocean conservation in partnership with aquariums, zoos, museums, youth, and many others worldwide.
We're a strategic communications organization focused on conservation outcomes and we leverage our global network to scale impact. The Ocean Project provides opinion and market research, strategic insights, and support for innovative and effective public education and engagement programs and campaigns that result in personal, community and policy and societal action for our ocean, and a more sustainable society. The Ocean Project does not try to brand itself but instead focuses on collaboration with our partners to enhance their conservation efforts.
Since 2002, as our major public engagement initiative, we have served as the global coordinator of World Oceans Day. We collaborate with organizations from all sectors in over 120 countries, to expand the reach and impact of this unique opportunity to engage and activate people, no matter where they live. The World Oceans Day network includes 2,000 organizations from all sectors, including: youth networks, aquariums, zoos, museums, schools, universities, maritime industry, dive groups, surfers, sailors, businesses, communities of faith, government agencies, celebrities, and many more.
Created in the late 1990s, The Ocean Project has grown from a handful of founding North American aquariums into the world’s most extensive network for advancing ocean education and solutions-oriented action. Our growing network includes approximately 2,000 partner aquariums, zoos, science, technology, and natural history museums, and other education and conservation organizations, youth groups, agencies, businesses, and institutions in 120 countries.
The Ocean Project punches far above its weight, with a lean but extremely dedicated and effective team of three, plus great volunteers helping on our advisory councils. We also depend on innovative and enterprising student interns.
Strategies for Achieving our Mission
The Ocean Project empowers our partners with cutting-edge communications research, tools, and related strategic resources that help zoos, aquariums, and museums (ZAMs) and others in our network capture people’s imaginations, create more engaged citizens and sustainable communities, and result in a significant conservation impact for our ocean.
Our ZAM partners are the leading gatekeepers in providing the public with experiences that engage them, inspire them to take action at the personal, community, and societal levels, and increase their understanding of the importance of science and conservation. Thus, we focus much of our efforts on reaching and leveraging ZAMs, supporting them in numerous ways to more effectively communicate and engage with their onsite and online visitors for conservation outcomes. Our network now includes many other organizations from all sectors, as a result of our global leadership with World Oceans Day.
- Build and support the communications, education, and outreach capacities of our partners to effectively reach their global audiences for conservation impact
- Provide insights and recommendations for our partners based on the largest ever communications research initiative on public attitudes and motivations regarding the ocean, climate change, and related environmental issues as well as from applied research results and ongoing strategic communications and public engagement efforts
- Develop new methods and collaborative campaigns for measurably increasing ocean awareness and conservation action among ZAM visitors and the public, especially youth
- Foster youth engagement and youth leadership development to build a stronger global ocean conservation movement
- Lead global efforts in support of World Oceans Day and collaboratively grow its reach and impact
- Broker connections and foster networking among our partner network and other key organizations worldwide
- Build the communications, education, and outreach capacities of ZAMs and our other partners to effectively reach their global audiences for conservation and sustainability outcomes
- Provide additional services to our partner network to help them achieve their conservation missions
The Ocean Foundation serves as the fiscal sponsor for The Ocean Project.